Remember the movie 50 First Dates starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (as an amnesic). Drew’s character is shown to suffer from short term memory loss (also known as amnesia), wherein every morning she wakes up and has no memory of the events that occurred the previous day. However, Adam’s character (Henry) happens to tackle this problem, by creating a video tape which contains scenes of her accident (which led to her memory loss), their meetings and of course their marriage. Drew happens to watch this tape every morning and recollects those memories to lead a normal life for that day. This was about the movie, however there are a number of people who cannot recollect one’s name, events or other older information, when they have to. This condition is called short term memory loss, which manifests poor conductivity in the brain. There are many possible causes to this condition like alcohol or drug abuse, side effects of certain medications or diseases like dyslexia, Alzheimer’s and so on. Lack of oxygen or low blood supply to the brain also plays an important role in memory loss. Thankfully, there are ways to overcome short term memory loss. Of course medication and treatments are available, but there are a few other ways to manage this condition.
Addressing Short Term Memory Loss
- The art of repeating information or a certain message over and over again to yourself can help it retain in the long term memory and recall whenever you need it.
- You can also maintain a journal or note book mentioning all the activities that you are supposed to perform during the entire course of the day.
- Getting adequate amount of sleep everyday is most important. It is recommended to sleep at a set time every night and follow the 8 hour sleep regime.
- Associate words, names and other pieces of information with some unforgettable incidents, it just adds to the chances of retaining those particular pieces of information. By doing so, the thought gets recorded in the long term memory and you can easily recall it when required.
- Certain yoga asanas like shirshasana (headstand) and sarvangasana (plow pose) should be practiced everyday, as they ensure proper blood circulation in the brain. The brain needs nutrients that support the neurotransmitters, who are responsible for passing on signals and information regarding particular things.
- A to-do list or post its, can be used to keep a note of important events or information about where you should be or what you should be buying. For instance, if your wife calls you to get a can of milk while coming back home from work, and you might forget. So just paste a post it on your steering wheel; it just makes things easier for you.
- Do some homework before you are supposed to attend a social event, since it is embarrassing if you forget the name of the person who is actually the host of the party. Try to say their names aloud when at home, which will help you remember things and thus, prevent embarrassment.
- Meditation is another wonderful thing you can do to combat the condition of short term memory loss. It relaxes the entire body and makes your brain more receptive and vibrant. There are simple exercises which can be followed every day that will help build concentration and boost memory.
- Puzzles, sudoku, crosswords, chess and checkers are games that are excellent sources of exercise to keep the mind fresh and challenging. Solving maths problems or playing video games that require quick responses also serve the purpose of keeping your gray cells in mint condition.
- Carry a small note pad in your pocket every time and during the course of the day if anything pops up in your conscious mind, write it down for any further references.
Apart from the above ways, visiting your doctor daily and following the treatment, can also improve the receptivity of the brain to a greater extent. Other than allopathy, alternative treatments of Ayurveda and homeopathy are also available in treating this condition. Another thing one must remember is that stress and anxiety can aggravate the problem and make you more nervous about the problem. Hence, maintaining your cool and keeping your mind relaxed are the two most important aspects to overcome short term memory loss.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, intend to replace the advice of a medical expert.