- A physical exam to determine how your body’s chemistry and physical state is
- Blood tests to check for anemia or thyroid problems, which may in a few cases, lead to symptoms of depression
- A series of questions to understand general mood and state of mind of the individual in question
- Questions related to symptoms can be asked
- Questions regarding drug and alcohol use and other disorders like, bipolar disorder may be asked
Such screening tests are available on the internet too.
- Do you believe you have more difficulty with relationships than the average person your age?
- Do you have difficulty trusting people?
- Do you tend to avoid social relationships?
- Do you like to be alone rather than in the company of others?
- Do you find yourself unaffected by praise or criticism?
- Do you observe people who get taken advantage of as being weak and deserving of being used?
- Do you crave for acceptance among your peers?
These are very generic questions for a personality disorder, and the answers to these have to be given in either a ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. The answers to these questions help the counselor and psychiatrist chart a course of action, that is, treatment for the detected illness.